Quick Fall report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Fall report

Ended up on the Fall Sunday. Saw fish rising...! Hooked three fish...! Landed one....! It was a miracle....! It looks like maybe they have solved the "migration out" problem and the fish I landed was maybe a 10" native, as best as I could tell. The hatchery was a zoo but the rest of the upper river was almost completely open. FWIW, lower Deschutes hook setting reflexes don't work that well with 7x. That is all.

Nice! Haven't been there in several years. Any guesses as to what changed?

Aint nobody got time for 7X!

Comment

Hey Don, thanks for the report. Was wondering if it was worth going up there. been spending most of my time on the Devine Miss M. Mostly whities, but had a beauty redside hooked up on Sunday (first cast), but lost him before I got him in the net.

cheers

Comment

Well, due to family issues and work and a little bit of hunting I hadn't had my vest on since July and when I went looking for the 6x while rigging up it was nowhere to be found. Would not normally use 7x. Of course the biggest rise I had from what looked to be a pretty decent fish was right while I was looking over my shoulder talking to a hiker. Saw the splash out of the corner of my eye, instinctively tried to rip it's tonsils out and that was that. Felt the fish anyway.....

As I understand it, for a while they were stocking with the Metolius hatchery fish and they all immediately would head out of town. Why they would not use fish from the hatchery right there was never made clear to me, but that's what they fly shop guys were telling me. It was grim for a couple years. Sunday it looked to be back to where it was maybe 5 years ago, one would assume they are using fish from the local hatchery again. Anyway, I saw quite a few sporadic rises here and there and a lot of them were smaller fish that I assumed were natives. I like the challenge of small flies in the super clear water with long leaders and some stealth involved, even if the fish are not usually that big. There were a lot of fairly big "winter caddis" in the air but I stuck with small BWOs.

Comment

From what I have heard it was staff cutback due to budget cutbacks, so the Fall River hatchery is essentially closed. Have not heard that they have re-staffed or have fish in the barrel, so to speak. Natives above the falls would be nice, but again, from what I have heard and read that seems unlikely, apparently the river is too cold for spawning bows (hope I am wrong).

cheers

Comment

Working...
          X