Problems at Trout Creek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems at Trout Creek

Last week I took my step daughter on an overnight fishing trip from Warm Springs to Trout Creek. We came out on Tuesday and while transferring camp gear from boat to rig, I became dizzy, my whole right side went numb and I passed out. When I came to, she was on the phone to a 911 operator who apparently not only didn't know where Trout Creek was but didn't seem to have the assets on hand to find out. I felt increasingly better and when the 911 operator insisted a second time she didn't know where we were I said never mind, we'll make it out. That girl loaded up and strapped down the boat by herself and by the time we got to Gateway I told her to forget Madras and just take me home. Trout Creek was deserted and mine was the only trailer there when we arrived but during the incident apparently another trailer was shuttled in but we didn't see them. It scares me to think what would have happened if I were alone, which I've done many times before. So I guess the point is one should never be alone during those times of year when there is little or no traffic on the river.

Dang! Make sure to follow up. Glad it This is something that has concerned me as my kids are only 5 and 7 and I take them out on my own all the time. This past spring I rumbled into a primitive site on Prineville Res with them and at night I had weird pains in my abdomen and was freaking out about my appendix and what would happen if I was incapacitated with no one around. As much as I like solitude and having places to myself, with the kids I feel more comfortable at State Parks and established campgrounds with camp hosts should a medical emergency arise.

Comment

Glad you're okay! Be sure to follow up like Mr. chin said.

Comment

Glad you're ok. That's pretty scary. I thought that 911 could grab your location from the GPS in your phone. Guess I was wrong. I hope you get it looked at, and you might follow up with that 911 system as well. Maybe buy them a map. Do they not have google?
        Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

• FinLuver
          FinLuver commented
          Editing a comment
          "Do they not have google? "

Oregon is not on any maps.
          Just ask the folks in New Jersey. ;-)

[...an inside joke from my experience back there in '85]

I wonder how they'll respond for a snake bite? Glad you had someone with you with their head screwed on and made it out. Some might not be so lucky.

Comment

I have a SPOT Satellite Messenger just in case. I do enough solo trips that I invested in this device and yearly service fee. I was playing around with it when I first got it and accidentally turned on the Emergency Response Call. I got a call within 1 minute with a guy asking me if I was in my back yard. It sends GPS to emergency response teams. Would highly recommend this product to people that like to be alive.

Comment

Oh, scary!

Hope you're okay

Glad to hear the young lady stepped up and got 'er done!!

Grrl power!
            The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Scary situation, glad it all turned out OK bobduck! As others have said, be sure to follow up with your doc!

Comment

I appreciate the responses. The SPOT satellite messenger sounds like a good item to have. My phone only makes phone calls and I get no service in the canyon.
                I've seen 3 Dr.s, had a cat scan, EKG, MRI, chest x-ray and a PAD test. So far only problem they've found is I'm an old overweight Swede. I honestly told all of them of my taste for good whiskey but they ruled that out but my primary care doc is starting to rethink that one. Stress echocardiogram and an evaluation from a vascular surgeon are next and the results are good I'm putting a new fly line on my 5 wt and getting the hell out of the house. But my days of fishing alone on the D are over.

Comment

Not to make light of the situation and am glad to hear you are doing well...

I too like to fish alone, but if I should ever have my number called while out...
                  I hope they find me with flyrod in hand, strung with a fly I tied, and a big ol' grin on my face.

Comment

So now I've had all the tests and Docs can't find anything wrong with me. Its good news but doesn't explain my incident. Vascular surgeon suggested the possibility of a small clot traveling to my brain and dissolving there. Maybe it couldn't anything worthwhile up there, got bored and left. Watch out trout!!

Comment

Well it's good news that nothing serious came up but at the same time it makes it may still make you weary. I was thinking how lucky you were that it didn't happen on the oars. Now go catch some feeeeeesh!

Comment

Scary situation. Glad you're okay! (besides, Westfly needs all the posters it can get these days!)
                        aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Working...
                        X