Salmonflies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmonflies?

Got an interesting report from the Deschutes this week...from a person we know well. Fish were taking the flies below Maupin early this week. Not many bugs reported, but fishing was very good with the fly.
    There are times that the fish are ready for the salmon fly before the bugs are easily available.....just sayin'

Wow

Comment

We're talking on top, right? I will be over there Friday and will do the experiment........ This time of year my ESP is tuned to Salmonflies kind of like our Dachshunds are tuned to hanging around the high chairs of the toddler grandkids. I was thinking this morning "I better look at Westfly to see if anything is happening" and ......voila

Comment

Yeah, wow. Seems early, but worth a look.
        Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

I found a few willing takers over the weekend. They definitely weren't totally keyed in, but the fish were starting to look up.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FLYS-170423-002-MiddleD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	666.7 KB
ID:	2650
            Went to the Middle D on Sunday, and though there was a decent mayfly hatch going on all I managed were a few wee Browns near the bank. Thought about this thread and tied on a Purple Chubby since it was overcast, a bump but nothing more. Then tied on a Skwala, which is what would be hatching at this time, and took about 5 redbands. Dropped a Twenty Incher from the back but they all rose for the Skwala adult. Everything turned off on the surface around 2 or 2:30 when the temp dropped and the wind picked up.
            Last edited by DancingRedband; 04-25-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Peteo
              Peteo commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice picture of one of my favorite stretches. I was upstream of there on Sunday, and saw an awesome BWO hatch. Fish prefered March brown dries, though, even though there were only a few on the water. The flows are still pretty high, but you can find rising fish if you know where to look. I never even considered tying on a skwala.

We did go over Friday and fished up stream rather than below the falls. Man what a beautiful day, the canyon was as beautiful as it gets. Wildflowers, greenery, butterflies and sheep... Very little pressure. On the "talk is cheap" front, I could not bring myself to fish on top. Threw weighted stuff all day and did OK, not great, the only big boy I had on came off right away. Saw no big bugs in the air or any shucks. Very few bugs of any kind in the air and I saw no surface activity at all. My friend missed a strike on a stimulator but that was the extent of the dry fishing. Boy it was nice to be in the sunshine and on the river again even with the high flows..

Comment

Was at Beavertail this past weekend. Didn't see any signs of big bugs. Pounded a dry for a bit and had smolts pecking at it pretty consistently. I was due for a good old D-Beat Down. The high water and straying away from my familiar spots upstream of Maupin made for a tough trip. Some other people reported decent action. Not sure if I was pushing the deep stone too much or if I was fishing the wrong water but it was rough. All scratched up from blackberries. Poison Oak bubbling up on my hands. Knees hurt. 4 fish to show for it but it feels damn good. Good times with some good friends. Lot of scouting and already looking forward to swinging down that way in the Fall.
              Last edited by Mr. Chin; 04-24-2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I drove the lower access road Saturday and tried a few spots. Water is still high and dirty, but fish could be found. I saw two adult salmonflies but no takers on top except smolts that crashed everything they saw including my indicator. Man some of those redsides look terrible, all tired and beat up from spawning and covered in those black spot parasites. I don't think I'll fish the lower river until the fish get a chance to fatten up on a few salmonflies and regain their strength.

Comment

Makes me sad......Jones Canyon, Rattlesnake.....that general area used to be my favorite.....still is for the scenery, but the fishing ain't what it used to be.

Comment

The hatch was still not in evidence as of yesterday. My understanding is that some fish are taking the fly, but the hatch is not in evidence. I have seen this before, fish will take a fly even though the hatch has not started. If I were there I would certainly throw a salmon fly, but the hatch has not started. We should be on an "any day now thing."

Comment

Working...
                    X